Saturday, February 16, 2008

Grace Week

Sounds better than "we're off school this week." We attempt to be done with formal schooling by the first of May because spring fever hits hard around here (particularly to Teacher). I have tried to school year-round, but there is just something that changes in the air during the summertime that does not allow us to hit the books. We try to start school again by mid-July and then take frequent breaks throughout the year. A four-week on and one-week off plan is what we strive for, but life doesn't always work that neatly.

I say all of that to say that this is Grace Week! I would normally try to come up with some fun activities and supplemental resources, but Noah has been complaining lately of his heavy load and not having time to pursue his interests. I have no doubt he will keep himself constructively busy all week with his filmmaking/photography pursuits. He is such a creative kid!

Micah, on the other hand, is a child of the electronic age. If he cannot be messing around on the computer with either Paint, e-mailing his best buddy, or Webkinz, he is lost! Poor guy. A room full of toys and nothing to do! Fortunately, the aforementioned best buddy has come up with the inspiration to make a movie out of Pilgrim's Progress. This has lit a fire under Micah. Yesterday he began to retype the book Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress, one of his all-time favorite books, so worn out with use that it is literally falling apart. It is a wonderful retelling of Pilgrim's Progress with vivid artwork and much of the dialogue retained. (I think I talked him out of retyping the whole thing for now, though.)

I do hope to get a few things done with Micah, though. We're entering the Homeschool Expo next month, so I want him to work on a few things for that, such as a new potholder and a painting. We're also entering the ocean life diorama he made while we read through Apologia's Zoology 2 this year.

On my plate this week, Lord willing, is some housecleaning catch-up and planning for Noah's next 12 week term. I'll be posting the final results of that here when I get it figured out. However, I have found out that our plans are quite humorous to God. And I submit all of the above to Him.

Proberbs 16:9 In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.

Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.

No comments: