Sunday, February 17, 2008

Washing Feet


Our pastor (Kevin Short at Christ Community Church) spoke on John 13 today; where Jesus washes his disciples feet before their Passover meal together. God's Word is alive! No matter how many times I've read a Scripture, God still speaks through it! What was made new to me today was in verse 1-3:


"Now before the Feast of the Passover, Jesus knowing that His hour had come that He would depart out of this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end."

To The End.


If I knew that within 24 hours I would be betrayed, denied, beaten 'til raw, and suffer a horrible and humiliating death on a cross, feeling the sin of the whole world being placed on myself, I'd probably be looking for some comfort and consolation . . . some me time. No, Jesus was showing them His love to the end.


And He wasn't preaching his message in an eloquent sermon, commanding an enthralled audience. He lowered himself to the status of servant and washed His disciples' feet (even the one who was to betray him). What an odd thing to do. Jesus' actions are so counter-intuitive, so counter-culture. It challenges me to consider how many times I claim my "rights;" how easily I take offense; how enthralled I become with things of this world.

Would any of us blame Jesus for having a relaxing Last Supper; for finally taking some time for himself? Isn't that what Oprah would have suggested? Don't we have to take care of ourselves first? No, He was showing them His love to the end.

No comments: