Saturday, March 15, 2008

Baked Oatmeal

I just sent my two biggest boys off on an overnight Scout hike. I have a feeling I'll have some backs to rub on Sunday night! Youngest boy will be heading to a friend's house this afternoon, which will save him the torture of having to go clothes shopping with me. I wish I could figure out a way to not go clothes shopping, but I've put it off too long. I'm hoping to find some great clearance deals because my winter wardrobe is very sadly lacking.

Today will be Day 4 without Diet Pepsi, and I can already tell it's going to be a tough one. I will be out shopping and will get thirsty. A friend is coming over later to watch The Jane Austen Book Club and we're going to make popcorn. Nothing goes better with popcorn or pizza than Diet Pepsi. Maybe just one won't hurt. I'm debating.

In my attempt to rid us of sugary foods and morning cereal, I did some baking this week. My favorite is this Baked Oatmeal. It is so yummy! Yes, it does have some sugar, but in contrast to the amount of fiber from the oats I felt it was excusable.

Baked Oatmeal
Mix together
1/2 Cup butter, melted
1 Cup brown sugar (I used less)
2 eggs, beaten
Add:
3 cups rolled oats
dash (or two) of cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup milk (I diluted my milk with water)

Mix well. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
I assembled this the night before, put it in the fridge, and baked it in the morning. It was almost like eating cake for breakfast! And the leftovers are just as good warmed up in the microwave. You could get creative and add diced apples, bananas, chocolate chips . . . go crazy!

No comments: