Monday, April 7, 2008

Consequences

Not only do actions have consequences, but so do words. I hate reproof, but I hate even more knowing that I've hurt a friend with my tongue. I am sorry, Friend. This evening I am meditating on the many Scripture verses that speak about the importance of our mouth. Here are just a few:

Proverbs 21:23
He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.

Psalm 19:14
May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing to you,
O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Matthew 12:36, 37
But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.

Proverbs 29:20
For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.

Proverbs 10:19
When words are many, sin is not absent,
but he who holds his tongue is wise.

Psalm 15:1-3
LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary?
Who may live on your holy hill?

He whose walk is blameless
and who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from his heart
and has no slander on his tongue,
who does his neighbor no wrong
and casts no slur on his fellowman

Proverbs 13:3
He who guards his lips guards his life,
but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.

No comments: