Friday, May 2, 2008

Vinegar as Fabric Softener

I've been making my own laundry detergent for several months and have been as happy with it as any manufactured laundry detergent. So, the next thing I decided to experiment with is using vinegar in place of fabric softener.

I had been using vinegar with success on our towels and washcloths to help rinse out soap residue, but was hesitant to use it on our clothing because I feared it would make them smell like vinegar. I'm happy to report that it does not; they actually smell quite fresh. I was also a bit sad to give up my Downy Lavender . . . until I found myself suddenly out of it one day and ran to Walgreens to buy some full-priced at $6.29. That was the day I decided to try the vinegar for $1.50!

I use about 1/4 cup vinegar in my fabric softener dispenser, and it works great; the clothes smell fresh and clean, and have no static. It may also help that we mainly wear cotton or cotton blend products; I have not tried this with polyester.

The added benefit will be that my washer will not get that nasty gunk build-up in it that is so difficult to clean.

For more tips on frugal living, check out Biblical Womanhood's Frugal Friday.

1 comment:

Niki Jolene said...

great tip!

i recently started doing this and it really does save!

:)