Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesday


I am not a morning person, and do not necessarily enjoy cooking. However, I do not feel good about having my children eat cold cereal every morning. Even though I only allow a max of 10 grams of sugar per serving in the cereals we choose, "sugar" is usually the second ingredient listed, among a list of ingredients that I can barely read. That does not seem to me to be the way to get our day off right and enjoy maximum brain and body function.

I am attempting to remedy our cold cereal habit by instituting two baking days per week, where I can bake breads and muffins, as well as pre-assemble pancake and waffle dry ingredients that I can stash in the freezer for easy assembly in the morning. (I grind my own grain using a Vitamix.)

Today I baked Healthy Banana Bread, cornbread for our ham 'n bean supper, and assembled three waffle mixes for the freezer.

Here's the Healthy Banana Bread Recipe:

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp EACH cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves & ginger
1 Tbsp buttermilk powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup wager
1 cup ripe mashed bananas (about 3 medium)

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. In your mixing bowl, beat together eggs, oil, honey and water. Add dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fold in mashed bananas. Pour into a loaf pan and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Cover the bread loosely with foil for the last ten minutes of baking so the top doesn't burn.

Tip 1: I add a cup of chocolate chips to the batter. What?!? I can't be good all the time!
Tip 2: If you measure the oil first, the honey will slide out of the measuring cup much easier.

2 comments:

Weetabix said...

How does that compare to these:
Oat Bran Muffins (1 dozen)

* 2-1/4 C. uncooked "hot" oat bran cereal
* 1 tbsp. baking powder
* 1/4 C. firmly packed brown sugar or honey or molasses
* 1-1/4 C. skim milk or low fat milk
* 2 egg whites lightly beaten (or one whole egg)
* 2 over-ripe bananas

Preheat oven to 425°.

Line 12 medium-size muffin cups with paper cups or spray bottoms with no-stick cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Combine milk, egg whites, honey, and oil, then add to dry ingredients and mix well. Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until golden brown.

I haven't made these in a while, but they're great.

Kim said...

I've got two ripe bananas on my counter that I now know what to do with! This looks delicious. Thanks!