Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Circumstances

Two blessings this week I thought I'd share with you.

First, in planning our DC/Virginia vacation this fall, we had booked our flight into Baltimore/Washington airport because it was significantly cheaper. However, upon further planning we discovered this was actually going to be a huge hassle and end up costing us money in the long run. To change the tickets to Ronald Reagan airport would be $600, plus the fare difference. Bummer.

Then we get an e-mail saying that our flight has been changed to include a stop in Chicago. Our youngest is terrified of flying, so we did not want any stops. We called, and they willingly changed our flight to Ronald Reagan airport at no charge! Same fare and everything!! Wow.

Second, I saw an ad in the paper Sunday for a rug store auction. I went this morning and bought a $685 rug for $150 to put in our "new" family room (that is still in progress, btw).

I know these are small things, but it's really nice when life works out well sometimes. Is it fair to say God is good when circumstances work out in my favor? Yes. But if I'm going to say that, then I also have to say God is good when circumstances do not work in my favor. His goodness has nothing to do with circumstances. I honestly don't know how much God "interferes" in these little (or big) happenings in our life. My philosophy tends to be that we're living in a fallen and corrupt world, so sometimes bad things happen and sometimes good things happen; it's just the nature of living in a world we were not created for. How much bad or good God allows, no one really knows. But we can know that He works all things for good to those who love Him. (Romans 8:28)

No comments: