Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday--Toys Worth Owning

Rocks In My Dryer is hosting a themed edition of Works for Me Wednesday--Toys Worth Owning--just in time for Christmas! So here's my list of family favorites:

K'nex
Legos
Kapla
Tinker Toys
Capsela
Thomas the Tank trains
Marble tracks (build your own)
Ride-on toys
Hoppers (that you sit on, hold the handle, and hop)
Kitchen and play food
Toy cars
Art supplies
Toy farm or house

I always tried to pick toys that used imagination and creativity and stayed clear of "program" toys or tv/character theme toys designed to do just one thing. As I look over this list, I am gratified to realize that my choices paid off: none of the electronics or "bells and whistles" toys made it to our Toys Worth Owning list.

And as my boys are now 9 and 14, we are reaching past the toys stage and need to be even more creative in what we ask for from grandparents. But for the four of us, we have decided that we each really have enough and have instead bought each other gifts from the Samaritan's Purse Christmas Gift catalog for the last several years. It helps keep our focus off the gimme's of Christmas, and also keeps us out of the return lines!

2 comments:

Val R said...

Great list! I love reading all these tried and true favorites. It is giving my great ideas for my two little people.

CC said...

I wish we had more kitchen play toys. My kids love those.